Skip to main content
John Kerry: Black like me?

"President Clinton was often known as the first black President. I wouldn't be upset if I could earn the right to be the second."...[John F. Kerry]

I was cruising some of my favorite blog reads and came across a spot on Oliver's site that talked about John Kerry and his mission to connect with all populations of U.S. Voters. In a quotation from USA today, it referenced that quote with this line....

"Kerry signaled his resolve to cement his support among blacks this week when he told a radio interviewer, "President Clinton was often known as the first black president. I wouldn't be upset if I could earn the right to be the second."

I was mildly amused when I heard about Tony Morrison referencing Clinton in that way. Don't get me wrong, I liked Clinton despite the attention to his personal life and business dealings. However, I was taken aback by how the idea of him being a "Black President" was centered not around his fiscal policies, his recruitment of minorities, or simply his love of Jazz music; he was thought of as a black President after he started getting into trouble. I would think that most black men would be outraged if a person stated that most black men were womanizers, guilty of lying, unfaithful to their wives, and always subject to losing their jobs. I think that Tony Morrison made that statement with tongue-in-cheek, especially in light of how Clinton was viciously attacked by opposition party members. Yes, they had a legal standing, but we all know that it was because President Clinton was incumbent Executive to a hostile Congress.

I would think that Tony Morrison made her statements in light of the fact that Clinton was "going through" a lot at the time. Yes, he was from the South, raised in a single parent home, was working class and could better identify with blacks than a blue blood northerner. I was a fan of Clinton because he was a Fiscal conservative, thought about domestic issues first, and also presided over a time when the economy boomed and the surplus ballooned. Things at that time were so good that he hoped to use the surplus to pay down the National Debt, though some of the Congressman on his side of the aisle wanted to expand and create new programs. If this was the reason for his being compared to a black man, I would have no problem with it. But the joke was really on us with this one, because in the words of Kevin Gray, "The punch line is that Clinton is decadent nd promiscuous, got rythm, got caught, and got over - so he's black!" Amazingly enough Gray was Al Sharpton's former campaign manager.

For John Kerry to make a statement like this is tantamount to 1st degree pandering. I think I would still have a problem with Kerry's infantile statements about wanting to be a "black man's President". Even if after he was elected the problems with terrorism vanished, Unemployment was at 3%, he would still have a "soul quotient that would make George Bush look like James Brown."*

If Kerry wants to identify with blacks, or capture the vast majority of black votes he doesn't need to try and be "Brothaman". More than likely he needs to stop referring to issues on "State's Rights". (pronounced states raughts in the South) If he knew anything about black people he would realize that the term "States Right's" in the South used to mean, "Do whuteva the hayul we want to the darkies no matta whut the gubmint says". I am not sure if there are really black issues that a politician needs to "get" from the black perspective, but I don't think that Kerry is any more or less capable than anyone else of getting the job done.

Bottom line, stick to being a blue blood, but be aware that you serve the entire constituency. Don't pander to a certain group, do what you think is right. And damn, leave the Jazz to Clinton.

*quotation from Kathleen Parker from the "Jewish World Review".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and