Skip to main content

I don't know about that, Cindy....



I was watching an episode of "Big Idea Town Hall" hosted by Donnie Deutsch. On this episode they featured the families of fallen service members talking about their loss. They also had notable family members such as Cindy Sheehan, and Tammy Pruitt, as well as some other fathers. The common meme was that we all support the troops, however, there were some differing positions on whether or not we should be in the war. She said that the war was based on a bunch of lies, she further stated that besides the WMD, and AL Quaeda Link issues, she said that her recruiter lied to him about a litany of things when he entered the service.

  • "The recruiter said that he was going to get a $20,000 bonus but he only received $4,000.

When you are offered a bonus, you usually receive a portion, sometimes half, up front, and the remainder further into your enlistment. If he was actually offered $20,000 and the only money he receive was $4,000, then it must have been an increment of the total.

  • "He wanted to be a chaplain's assistant, but when he got to basic, his drill sergeants said that field was all filled up, so he had a choice of being either a mechanic or a cook."

If the Army cannot fulfill its part of a contract, you have a choice of either getting released from your contract, or selecting something else to do. Also, Drill Sergeants don't make choices in what jobs that Recruits go into.

  • "His recruiter told him that he could finish college, but they wouldn't let him take any classes."

This could be true, but they only tell you such things when you are "on the bubble" for deploying. The reason is that you will not be there long enough to finish, and there are mandatory skill sets that every soldier and unit must be signed off on. To try and do other academic things would be a distraction.

  • "His recruiter said he would never be in combat because his ASVAB score was so high."

I seriously doubt that any recruiter would make such a statement. To me, this sounds like something that a kid would tell an uneasy parent when they announce they have already enlisted in the service. Certainly any person, regardless of their experience with the military should know you cannot guarantee where and when our military forces will be attacked.

One statement she made caused me to raise my eyebrows.

  • "My son was raised in a gentle non-violent home. He didn't want to go to Iraq."

This could very well be true, but when you join the military you don't simply raise your hand and mutter a few words. You sign a contract that states what you are getting and what you are giving. Essentially you are giving yourself to the greater good of the country.

Let me say that I am indeed sympathetic to Mrs. Sheehan for the amazing loss she has suffered. I have three children of my own, and I cannot imagine outliving any of them. But, I have to say that perhaps she may be speaking to some things on behalf of her son that he may or may not agree with. I can't be sure of this, but I think that this could have something to do with it. I am not saying that she is being disingenuous, but sometimes emotions make us see things in a certain way. Cindy Sheehan has lost a lot. Nothing can refut that, but in the end I have to ask, "What would Casey have wanted?"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and