Monday, February 18, 2002

Hoodwinked, Bamboozled, Led-astray! I couldn't believe what happened this weekend, Renee was showing a lot of excitement about an outing with her friend Michelle. She wanted to go to the Atomic Cafe in Lexington for some type of Carribean celebration. That was cool, I hadn't planned on doing much that weekend anyway, so we decided to stay the night in Lexington on Friday night. I didn't work on Friday because Devon and Robbie didn't have school. We just ran around a little bit having a good time. By the time we got back home Renee was there watching television and she seemed to be a little bit "antsy". She really wanted to get out of the house, she claimed that Michelle was going to get her hair done and she wanted to go with her. So I said, "Well babe, just go on...I have a few things to do, and then I will come on up afterward." She was happy and immediately took off. I finished a load of laundry, packed some clothes for the boys and headed to Lexington. Before we got on the Interstate I stopped by the video store and rented "Raiders of the Lost Ark". (I am trying to show the boys what great movies were out there to watch when I was a kid.) I arrived at my Mother-In-Law's and no sooner than I could get through the door she said, "Roger said he was coming here to get you because you all were supposed to meet up." That was certainly strange....I hadn't talke to Roger (Renee's Brother) all day. Surprisingly a couple of minutes later he walks through the door and started pressing me to go with him to Strauss's (A cigar store) and to grab a beer and shoot some pool with him. I thought about not going, because I was not sure when Renee was going to be back, but I decided to go along. I called downstairs to Devon, and said, "Dude, I will be back in about an hour and then we can watch the movie." He said, "Ooookay", he sounded a little bit disapointed but I knew I would be right back. I jumped in the car with Roger and we started driving toward the downtown area. Roger seemed a little bit distracted, but we still made small talk. We pulled up at the Hyatt regency (where the cigar shop is located), andwent in. Roger hemmed and hawed around the cigars and selected a few. We went to the bar and had a couple of drinks, and Roger started rambling again! Something was very strange. Then he says, "Make this run with me real quick." He goes over to the elevator and heads up toward the 6th floor. Roger just smiled the entire time, as we exited the elevator I said, "Hey man, don't have me sleeping on the couch tonight." He just laughed and walked toward the end of the hall. He knocked on a hotel door and waited. I said, "Who is in here", he laughed as the door opened and said. "See you tomorrow." I was in shock, he was walking away and whoever opened the door was standing behind it where I could not see them. I didn't move, I just peered into the room in amazement, finally Renee's head popped from around the corner. "Come in"! she said. I walked in not knowing what was going on, I looked around the room and saw that she had purchased one of the Valentine's Day packages at the hotel. Some of my slacks, dress shirts, and ties were laying on the bed for me to put on. (Thank goodness since I was wearing basketball shoes, warmup pants, and a sweatshirt.) She smiled and said, "HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY BABY!! Go take a shower and get dressed. Boy, she had me completely fooled. I took a shower, dressed, and let her lead me back downstairs to the hotel restaurant where we had Lobster and Filet Mignon. It was so unbelievable, after dinner we went back upstairs and spent a quiet, loving, and romantic evening together. I have to say it was my best Valentine's Day ever.

No comments: