Skip to main content
I was just thinking that it is very unfortunate that Republicans have been typecast as racists. Unfortunately most Americans, blacks especially, have short memories. We don't seem to remember who the party of Emancipation was, nor do we remember whose part'y's majority voted for the Civil Rights Act 0f 1964 as compared by NONE of the Southern Democrats doing so. Al Gore's dad voted against the act, yet Gore had the audacity to speak at an NAACP function and claim that his dad lost his seat because of his support of civil rights legislation. Not only did he vote against the Act of 64, he even attempted to send the Act to the Senate Judiciar Committee with and amendme to say, "in defiance of a court desegregation order, federal funds could not be held from any school districts." In other words he wanted there to be no penalties levied if people told the government to mind its own business in regard to desegregation rulings.

Black people in the Deep South pride themselves in saying that the Civil Rights Movement started there. However, it is sort of sad to see that a 6 or 7 hour car trip could mean a world of difference into how well you were treated. I do admit that there are racists of all colors everywhere, and the world is still an imperfect place. However, I still believe in the inherent goodness of the human spirit. Shortly after my Dad returned to the United States from France he was stationed at Ft. Knox. This is 1956 mind you. He came to Alabama to help my mother pack household goods and then he left to report for duty. My mother came up 3 weeks later by bus. The bus stopped in Elizabethtown and she got off and called for my Dad to come get her. She then went to a restaurant, (which is still there as well as the owner), and asked for something to eat at the door. The man replied, "Sure thing, Darling". My Mom said, "Is there somewhere I should sit? The man said, "Uh yeah, you ought to sit in the booth seats, those are a lot more comfortable than the regular tables or the high tops." My mom paused and said, "Yes, but I mean where?" The man looked puzzled for a minute and then it dawned on him. He said, "Oh...you can sit anywhere you like." After he brought her some water and took her order he said, "Where are you from, honey." Mom said, "Alabama", and he said, "Oh I see."

Things have changed for the best, but the sense of entitlement was fed by the pandering of Democrats who successfully created an identity for themselves as "The friend of the downtrodden." I think the Typecasting occurred in the 70's and the eighties. The widening divide between rich and poor and the tax and small government philosophy of Reagan made poor people bitter. So we think of Republicans as being rich, opportunistic racists. I think it is undeserve. Of course I don't have anything against Republicans, "some of my best friends are Republicans". But the idea sticks, and when a moron like Lott makes a statement there is a huge backlash because of all of those harbored fears and distrustful cautions. So, in that regard the Republican Party has been typecast and I don't know what can be done. I guess we know how Ned Beatty feels. Even if he was doing a Broadway Production of Guys and Dolls we would still say, "Hey, isn't that the guy that got tossed across the log in Deliverance?"...Squeal like a pig, boy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and