Skip to main content

It's HIS day, not ours......



Well, it is Christmas morning, and believe it or not my kids are still in bed. I suppose it is not so inconceivable that my 4 month old daughter is still in bed, but sons Devon and Robbie, (9 and 5 respectively), are still snoozing. We are at my parents house presently, and we will be opening presents, eating breakfast and hitting the road to Lexington in just a little while. Christmas and the holidays are a special time of year, because that is when most people like to gather their families and spend quality time with one another. Some people actually dislike the holidays because of painful memories, or the fact that they have nobody to share them with. I suppose that those of us with large extended families who have to hustle and bustle to see everyone probably think that we have it rough. Or perhaps we say we hate Christmas or dread the holiday's approach because of all of the stress that it brings. I think that perhaps we don't know how good that we have it. I myself made the offhand comment that, "I hate Christmas", because of the stress of planning and purchasing. I really do wish that I could take it back though. We tend to forget what this holiday season is about. Even if we are happy and full of "Yuletide Cheer", the Man that this is all about seems to get pushed to the back burner. Our Lord God who came to earth as the Son of a Carpenter, who later died a horrible death to secure our salvation is sometimes an after thought. His exploits are somehow eclipsed by gift-giving, commerce, and the fictional exploits of a fat guy who slides down chimneys. I wish I had the entire month of December to do over again, I think I would show much more respect to the holiday season and what it is all about. While that time has passed and cannot be reclaimed, I can, however live out today and the rest of the season like I am supposed to. I hear my Father upstairs rustling about, and I think I am going to go upstairs, give him a big hug, and help him cook a Christmas Breakfast. For all of you who are gathered with family, for all of you who are in the midst of traveling, and most of all, for those of you who think you have nowhere to go, and nobody to celebrate with, please remember that God loves you. God Bless each and every one of you, and have a very Merry Christmas. Merry in the sense that we are celebrating our Lord's birthday, and the day that our salvation began.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and