Skip to main content
35 is not 18......

Last night I was entering a compound with a couple of my squads and squad leaders. It was surrounded by about an eight foot wall. In order to breach it, I sent a dismount over with just a pistol to unlatch the gate from the inside. He climbed the wall, lowered himself down by his hands, and dropped. I climbed up on the wall to over watch for him. Once he was inside, he said, "Aw man, it's got a chain on it with a lock." About that time, several dogs started barking. My dismount turned around and pointed his pistol in their direction. In hopes of giving him more support, I jumped off the wall into the courtyard to provide more security. It sounded like a great idea in theory.....until I hit the ground. It was roughly an eight foot drop, and when I landed I was painfully aware of every joint in my body. A weird "ZING" went from my feet to the top of my head, and I crumpled over into a PLF to try and absorb some of the shock.

My dismount said, "Sir, are you alright?" I said yeah, and immediately got up and started scanning. I shined my Surefire at the dogs and they moved back. My dismount tapped me and handed me something. It was a battery from my NOD that I had attached to my rifle. The impact of hitting the ground had jarred the battery cap loose. We called for a breach kit, and cut the lock and did our mission. My hip felt "funny" while we were walking around on our patrol, but it did not hurt. We remounted our vehicles and traveled to a couple more locations, but my back started getting tight. When we got back inside the wire and I did my debrief, it felt like my neck was getting stiff. I got back to the hootch took a shower and lay down for the night. When I woke up a couple of hours ago, I had to negotiate with my legs in order to swing them out of the rack. I am hurting........

I look at myself in the mirror, and the image hasn't really changed all that much in the last 10 years. I am physically fit, my last P.T. test I did 83 pushups, 74 situps, and ran two miles in 13 minutes and 24 seconds. However, something has changed since August 14th, 1990 when I first went to basic training. My recovery time is not the same. As I type this, I have a dull ache in my hip, and my head refuses to turn all the way to the left. Could it be that I am getting old?

I laughed it off and said that it was an injury that could happen to anybody. Hell, I eat right, exercise and keep myself in great shape. As I hobbled to the shower this morning, I looked up and saw a runner coming by who waved his hand. It was my dismount going for a run.......damn, I am getting old.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It Had To Happen..... Ever Heard Of... I Forget.. It's Next For You. Be Safe. GOD Bless!!

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and