Skip to main content
KELLY'S TOP 100


100 things about me. If they appear to be random and shifting, then you are 100 percent right. I actually wrote these out in my real journal over the course of about a month. I would think about something, and then I would jot them down....1, 2, 3, 7 at a time. So..enjoy if you aren't too bored.

1. My oldest sister used to call me her “chocolate Billy” when I was young.
2. My earliest memories are of Stuttgart, Germany.
3. My first dog’s name was Blacky, I got him in 1978 when I was in first grade.
4. He died in 1992 when I was 21 and stationed at Ft. Knox.
5. I cried for two days.
6. I think soccer is the world’s greatest sport.
7. My older sister Carolyn is the smartest person I know.
8. I love to play Jeopardy and I am good at it.
9. I have a crude working knowledge of Spanish.
10.I had my first girlfriend in 4th grade.
11. She could run faster than me.
12. From 1st through 6th grade I only liked my 3rd grade teacher Ms. Coffman, she was strict but fair. Fairness. Something I didn’t always get in Hardin County Schools.
13. I hate it when black people call one another “nigger”.
14. I am a Democrat, but I am somewhat conservative when it comes to social issues.
15. Being a good Dad is the most demanding job that I have ever had.
16. My father is the best man that I have ever known.
17. My mother taught me how important respect for self and others is.
18. I want my children to be all that I am not.
19. I have always thought that Sean Connery is the coolest actor to ever live.
20. Audrey Hepburn was timeless. I will watch any movie that she is in.
21. Ella Fitzgerald is my favorite singer of all time.
22. I “know” good money managing techniques.
23. I “exercise” bad money managing techniques.
24. I love spending time in the outdoors.
25. My ongoing project is to be a better man.
26. My wife inspires me to be a better man.
27. My wife reminds me when I am not acting like the best man I could be.
28. I love being in the military.
29. I intend to always do things that I love.
30. I know that some people die doing what they love.
31. I would rather die with people that love me standing by.
32. Having sons makes me feel as if every move I make should be a move that they should be proud of.
33. Jesus Christ is the world’s greatest hero.
34. My oldest sister is the best people person I know.
35. My older sister Neekie would be a great mother.
36. Actually I think my oldest sister Neekie has been a great mother. ;-)
37. Sometimes I wish I was a child again.
38. My biggest fear is letting people down that depend on me.
39. I used to take my wife for granted.
40. The only time I don’t love the military is when it takes me away from the people I love.
41. I need to a make a list of people that I admire. Everyone that has ever lived at 544 gates would start the list off.
42. I only have a few “friends”. I wish I could spend time with them more often.
43. I want my children to have a dog. I probably won’t get attached to it.
44. Sometimes I hate the language I use.
45. Sometimes the language I use is necessary.
46. Sometimes I am afraid of dying.
47. Sometimes I could care less.
48. I hate it when I can’t call home.
49. I liked being a Signal Officer.
50. I love being an Infantry Officer.
51. I am ready to leave Iraq.
52. I am not alone in that sentiment.
53. I’m scared that one of my Soldiers will die before we make it back home.
54. I’m upset with the Army because I am going to miss another wedding anniversary.
55. When I leave Iraq my daughter will be in kindergarten.
56. When I leave Iraq my oldest son wil be a freshman in High School.
57. When I leave Iraq my other son will be in 4th grade.
58. My platoon sergeant is my lifeline.
59.I hate that I will miss my daughter’s pre-school graduation.
60. I have a fear of letting people down.
61. Iraq has made me appreciate my family more.
62. Iraq has made me appreciate life more.
63. Combat has made me appreciate God more.
64. Combat has made me appreciate Life more.
65. Combat has made me appreciate Renee more.
66. Combat has made me appreciate Devon more.
67. Combat has made me appreciate Robbie more.
68. Combat has made me appreciate Alexandra more.
69. I feel as if I have more in my life than what I deserve.
70. I hold grudges against people from my childhood.
71. Autumn is my favorite time of the year.
72. I like to watch falling leaves.
73. I haven’t seen falling leaves since 2005.
74. My favorite wine is Merlot.
75. My favorite beer is Killian’s Red…it is too filling.
76. My favorite mixed drink is a Maker’s and Coke.
77. My wife’s favorite drink is an Absolute Grey Goose and Orange Juice.
78. She will only drink one per night.
79. I have no limit. :-)
80. I am going to Miami when I get out of here.
81. I am going to forget that I was here when I am in Miami.
82. I am ready for my promotion.
83. I think I am ready for the responsibility of a promotion.
84. I hope my next duty station is one that my wife and kids will like.
85. I love patrolling.
86. I hate patrolling.
87. I love Neekie.
88. I have three months until I leave Iraq.
89. Three months is a lifetime.
90. Three months is a short time to make a mistake.
91. I love Carolyn.
92. I don’t like crowds.
93. I don’t like busy shopping centers.
94. I love having quiet time to myself.
95. I love art and indie films.
96. I love Renee.
97. I love Devon.
98. I love Robbie.
99. I love Alexandra.
100. I love my Father and Mother.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good list. When you get home, I hope you'll have time to talk about each and every item on the list.
You are making me cry and I hope you come home soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and