Skip to main content
My body betrays me...

I am sitting here in an Excel 2 class, (Much more interesting than the introductory level), and my head is spinning. I went down to the YMCA and took a body conditioning class. The instructors name is Laura, and if I didn't know any better she was also an instructor at the U.S. Army Ranger School. The abdominal, leg, and arm workout that she prescribes is merciless. Although I do appreciate what she is doing, and am anxious to see the results, Laura surprises me by not being the spectacular physical specimen that you would imagine. While she does look healthy, she does not have the cut arms and typical "aerobics instructor physique". On the contrary she looks like a soccer mom. As a matter of fact if I saw her getting out of a minivan with 3 or 4 kids trailing behind her I would not be the least bit surprised. But when it comes to endurance, she can exercise forever! She is still doing the leg lunges, or sitting on the wall, or doing crunches long after I have screamed, "Toby!" (I am wondering how many people will get that remark!) ;-) All the while she is driving us to physical exhaustion her high-pitched motivating voice never ceases....."and 1, and 2, and 3, and hold...hold...hold...now burn from 10...and 9 and 8 and 7....."The entire time I want to scream, "And STOP!!!" I have let my physical condition wither away with the blissful comfort of being thirty-something. But, I really don't want a pot belly just yet, and I kind of feel bad when I get winded much more easily than I used to, so this is my solemn vow to be back in physical form by July. I weigh about 195 pounds now, and I think I should actually be at around 170 for my body build. When I hit the showers after class, it took somewhat of an effort to raise my hands to wash under my arms. I put my slacks and shirt back on and headed up the road back to this training class, but somehow I felt good. I have a gnawing hunger in the pit of my stomach. I am a little bit light-headed, but my body feels so loose. I know I will feel a little pain in the morning, but I think this is just what I needed. I think I am going to track my progress back to fitness. Oh well, if I don't have an entry in tomorrow you will know that I had an embolism of some sort. Well, the instructor is back, back to learning Excel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and