Skip to main content
Nationalism is a great thing when you think about it in a rational sort of way. I don't mind countries that have sort of an isolationist point of view when it comes to the world stage. If you want to worry about your own interests and not the interests of others, then you are certainly within your right. If Nationalism entails pride in culture, history, and accomplishment, then that is a good thing as well. However, when Nationalism spurs you to denigrate, marginalize, and demonize an entire country, continent, race, or population, then perhaps you have gone too far. I do think that France has quickly forgotten what inaction can result in. Though it was a mere 60 years ago when their borders were overrun and they were invaded by a German Army that could have easily been crushed by their forces a few years earlier. But now, I see Americans exercising the Patriotism by renaming fast-food side items, (Freedom Fries please, not French Fries), making French jokes, insisting upon Italian wines while dining and other inconsequential actions. But now, a golfer of all people has had people make threatening remarks to him simply because he hails from France. This man plays a sports, endorses products, and pretty much lives a life of celebrity. However, unlike some of our notable American celebrities, I have not heard him making comments about the United States and our policies. I have not heard about him traveling abroad to enemyforeign countries to speak out against OUR country. I have not heard about this man wanting to host a tournament in Basrah in order to earn a check, and serve as a human shield. I think that now as Americans, perhaps we are edging the border of actions that seperate "us" from "them". Everyone has an idea of what is right and wrong. And most of us would agree on what actions constitute "right", or "wrong" behavior, we simply have differing ideologies, religions, histories, personal experiences, and outlooks that help us rationalize which course of action is appropriate at the time. I hope that this man is not threatened, and I hope no American forgets what we stand for, and doesn't forget that poor behavior on another's part does not legitimize that same poor behavior on our part. We set the example. We have the means, the power, the need, and the audacity to shape this world into a better place. A place where "American ideals", means something great, positive, and worthwhile. So pass the French fries, have a burger, and remember what it means to be American.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and