Skip to main content
"They are invading Iraq"

It is so amazing to watch world events unfold on CNN. It seems as if you have a ground level view of what is going on. But "We" are not invading Iraq, "They" are invading Iraq. "They" are the brave men and women of the United States Armed Forces who are following through on the oaths of enlistment, and the oaths of office. It is so easy to say, "We" are doing this, and "we" won. But unless you are over there on the ground, or have a loved one or dear friend who is over there, the terror of this event is not real to you. I don't agree with all of our policies, and I may not personally agree with every thing that the President and Congress do, but I fully support the President in this campaign. I believe that people have a right to protest and show dissent, but now is the time to get the message to our troops that "we are in your corner". Despite the fact that I served during the first Gulf War, I find myself strangely detached from this situation. Please don't think that I am indifferent, but all of the feelings of anxiety that I thought I would have once this started up again have not come. I am anxious about the lives of Americans over there, but it is a completely different feeling. Now back when I was 12 years younger and 20 pounds lighter I was all fire and emotion about military duty. I wanted to go to Iraq. I wanted to fight, I wanted to be in the mix. But after a few years, schooling, marriage, and kids I want to be no where else but here. I feel a little bad about that, while I am in in the National Guard, and would go without hesitation if called again, I just want to be with my family. My oldest son was asking me question upon question what war was all about. I told him what we were trying to do and why the best that I could. But I don't think that it all set in for him. He wondered if the Iraquis could come over here and attack us. He wanted to know if part of the war could be fought here. I tried my best to put his mind at ease, but I wonder what kind of thoughts are still going on behind those beautiful nine-year-old eyes of his. I wonder how much different they would be if he were older, probably a whole lot, no matter what opinion he had about the war. I know my thoughts are much different than those of the skinny 19 year old in the picture below. I think he is a completely different man than what I am now. Not better, not worse....just different.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and