Skip to main content
This is only the beginning...

CNN has shown the poster boys of U.S. military might at their proudest. Man, say what you want to about those Marines, but not only are they always in the thick of things at battle, they are also johnny-on-the-spot for the Life Magazine shot. I mean, we all knew that it was a matter of time, albeit indeterminable, when Baghdad fell and celebrations would start, but I had never considered what the pictures would be like. Just seeing the Mike 88 pulling the statue of Saddam down seemed to be a picture that will be shown over and over again for decades to come. Hell, the Marines already had the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima and now this. But, you know what? They deserve it. As a matter of fact they all deserve it. Think of the picture of the Navy Sailor who grabbed the woman out of the crowd in New York and laid the kiss of the century on her. Do you all remember seeing that photo? That one was a classic. There are just photos that seem to encapsulate the entire theme of an era in a single frame. Think about Vietnam, the girl running down the road naked after Napalm had been dropped on her village? How about the Viet Cong soldier being executed by the South Vietnames Army Major. Those pictures are forever engrained in our minds, and thus Vietnam is always the "dark" memory.

But, for the moment the images that have emerged form Operation Iraqi Freedom seem to show it as a valiant joint effort between Us, the Aussies and the Brits. I see that perhaps there is a new restructuring of the Western World. A new world order if you wil. [I am careful not to capitalize that phrase for fear of paranoid people]. It would seem that though our relations were good before, that us and the Brits have been soldered together by soldiering together. We shall see how the western world accepts this new partnership. The statue of Hussein has been toppled in Baghdad, but where will the next villain emerge? I am not being snide or facetious, I am facing the facts. There will always be a Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Khadafy, Mugabe, Pol Pot, or Kim Jong II to deal with. It is just the way that we deal with him that will dictate our legacy. I pray for peace in Iraq, I pray for peace in Israel, and I pray for a state of Palestine. I do hope for peace in the Middle East and the end to terror. Most of all my prayers are for those who think so little of themselves that they would go where they are needed when called to do what is sometimes popular, and sometimes unpopular. Over Hill, Over Dale from the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli. God Bless each and every one of you......and above all else, please be careful and come home safe.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and