Skip to main content
Where's Daddy?

As the family sobbed, Brig. Gen. Maston Robeson presented a folded American flag to Pokorney's widow, who handed it to her daughter. Taylor clutched the flag as she accompanied her mother to the casket. As they turned around, the girl asked her mother, "Where's Daddy?" [Click for full article]

I thought about the consequences of military service this morning when I was waking my children for school. I just imagined how I would feel being deployed and unable to see them any time that I wanted to. My oldest was sick today so he stayed in bed, my five year old got out of bed and stumbled down the hallway toward the bathroom. I woke my daughter, (who is destined to be a morning person), and marveled at how 3 seconds after having been awakened she started to smile. As I went about my morning routine which consists of finding clothes, (my own included), and making bottles and pouring juice. I had to wonder what sort of impact my being away would have on my children. I know how it would be for me, but I wonder what kind of worries or fears that they would have.

My nine year-old hasn't asked very many questions about the war, because I think he understands a great deal. My 5 year old is still blessed with being oblivious to anything that is outside of his normal routine. I also thought that if I were to be pulled away suddenly for a year, that perhaps my daughter would have no recollection of me whatsoever when I returned. I also began to think about other strange things that I, and other people take for granted. Sometimes during the day when I have been asked my millionth question about something I begin to get exasperated. I remember saying, "I don't know Robbie. Please go watch TV/Go play/Go to bed/be a little more quiet." Or perhaps on those days when my oldest wants to play ball, or go to the park or something and I say. "Dude, I am soooo tired....maybe in a little while." I also have to think about the number of times that I am praying that my daughter will go to sleep so I can eat/watch t.v./talk on the phone, or something like that. I wonder how much time I have missed out on with my children despite the fact that I live in the same house with them. Kind of scary to think about.

The listed article above really made me think about spending that quality time with children. We never know exactly how much time we are going to have on this earth, and we never know when the last time is that we are going to see someone. Inevitably it is going to happen. We, at some time or another are going to have a last conversation with someone that we love. I would only hope that my last conversation, look, words, or interaction with those that I love is one that will somehow encapuslate the nature of our relationship. Maybe I ought to live my life like I haven't much time left.....I suppose in the grand scheme of things, none of us have much time left. Might as well make what we have count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an Officer...a Black one.....is sometimes hard. [Howard Rollins from "A Soldier's Story"] Sometimes being an Officer is difficult....not because of hard tasks, short timelines, or all of the worries involved in the care of your Soldier's, but the aura of professionalism and objectivity that you must display at all times. There have been many times that I have wanted to make a comment, yell, cuss at someone, or otherwise let my personal feelings be known about a subject, but unfortunately I could not because of my position. Let me tell you about two incidents that bothered me in particular. I was in Dallas Ft. Worth airport waiting to catch a flight on the last leg of my TDY trip to help a returning unit at Ft. Sill. As I went to my gate, I saw 4 Sailors in their black uniforms gathered at the gate...one was large and white, the other three were black. There was very little room, and many of them were standing intermingled with civilian airline passengers
One day and one half... I just woke up in my hotel room after a night of fun and good times with my wife at 4th Street Live. I glanced out the window, and realized that I was facing the sullen reality that I have today and tomorrow on leave, and that Tuesday means the end of my contact with my family for a great while. I have approached this time on leave with the solid intent of not concentrating on how much time I had left, but rather the quality of the time that I was using. Somehow, it just didn't work like I thought that it would. I have noted that these past two weeks have flown by, much quicker than any other two weeks that I have experienced in my life. If deployment were to go like this, the time wouldn't seem so unbearable. But, nonetheless I suppose that I need to get myself prepared for the inevitable. The reality is that my oldest son Devon who just finished the seventh grade will be starting his Freshman year of High School once I get back. Robbie who just
The Thought Police: a necessary function for our safety? Please take a look at this video and tell me what you think. When I saw this, obviously I was shocked, but even more than that, I started trying to frame my thoughts into the context of what I do for a living. Obviously in this country people have a right to express their opinion on everything that goes on. I am happy we don't live in a police state where so many things are censored and forbidden. However, I don't think that we should overlook people like this, the "Miami 7", or any other nutcases out there that are Anti-American. I don't believe that the United States has done everything properly over the years, but I do believe in the inherent "goodness" in America as a whole. So, should we kick the doors in of these people and haul them off to some austere prison complex for creating such a hateful and radical video? Certainly not, but I do think that they should be watched very closely, and